The web is full of recipes and legends, and the one that follows is probably neither the last nor the best.
But it is certainly true that it is our recipe, that is the one that from 1983 to today, for 365 days a year (for breakfast, lunch and dinner), many Sicilians (and not ...) have tasted on the slopes of Etna in the charming town of Mascalucia.
In this particular moment in which we are forced to deprive ourselves of one of the most beloved pleasures for our palate as true Sicilians, we at the Octagon feel obliged to share the recipe of our "highlight".
We hope so, to continue to keep alive the relationship with each of you, in the hope of hugging us again soon.
And now, good preparation!
Time: about 5 hours
Doses: about 10 arancini with meat sauce
- 50 g onion
- 50 g carrots
- 50 g celery
- 20 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g of minced coarse minced beef
- 200 g of beef per stew cut into small cubes
- 600 g of tomato puree
- 20 g of double concentrate
- 40 g of sugar
- 10 g of salt
- 1 vegetable nut
- 100 g of peas
- 500 g of Edamer cheese
- 1/2 glass of red wine
- 1 kg of roma rice
- 2.5 l of water
- 20 g of salt
- 1 cube of meat
- 150 g of butter
- 1 g of saffron
- 800 g of flour 00
- 1 l of water
- 600g breadcrumbs
- 3 liters of sunflower oil
After having searched for all the ingredients, the procedure begins, which consists of 6 distinct phases (be very careful to respect the rest times of the preparations):
- A) Preparation of the meat sauce,
- B) Preparation of the rice,
- C) Unbreaded arancino,
- D) Breading of the arancini,
- E) Frying,
- F) Tasting!
- A) Let's start with the preparation of the ragù
- Pour 20 ml of extra virgin olive oil into the pan e fry over a slow flame onion, carrot and celery (50 g per ingredient).
- When the ceiling is golden brown, increase the intensity of the flame and add the minced coarse ground beef (200g) and the meat beef for stew (200g) until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add half a glass of wine red and make it fade.
- Add 600g of passed of tomato, mix everything and, continuing to mix, add an ingredient every 30 seconds: 10g of salt, 40g of sugar, 1 cube of vegetable cube, 20g of double concentrate. After 15 minutes add the peas (100 g).
- Let it cook on a low flame for about two hours, or at least until the sauce will turn out well congealed and not liquid.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- After the first preparation, let the sauce rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- After resting, mix the meat sauce (about 800 g) with 500 g of cheese edamer cut into small cubes.
- B) Let's continue with the preparation of the rice:
- Boil 2.5 l of water,
- Turn down the gas flame,
- Add 1 kg of roma rice,
- Add an ingredient every 30 seconds, mixing with a ladle: 20 g of salt, 1 cube of cube, 150 g of butter, 1 of saffron,
- Cook over low heat until complete absorption water in rice,
- Salt rule,
- Pour the rice on a plane and wait for it to become warm before working it with the ragù.
- C) After letting the ragù and rice rest, let's shape our arancino:
- Put the lukewarm rice on the work surface to your left, and a bowl with the sauce on your right.
- Fill your left hand with a generous fist of rice, open the palm of your left hand and lightly compact the rice with your right hand.
- With your right hand take approx 70g of meat sauce and place it in the center of the left hand with the rice.
- Wrap ragù with rice e ball it up with both hands until you reach a spherical shape (although here in Catania the original shape of the arancino al ragù is pointed, we recommend the spherical shape because it is simpler).
- Repeat until the ingredients run out.
- Let the non-breaded arancini rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- D) We prepare the breading:
- Pour 1 liter ofwater, 800 g of flour 00 and mix everything until you get a slightly thick batter.
- Pour 600g of bread crumbs.
- Place on your right a tray with the non-breaded arancini and, in sequence from right to left, the bowl with water and flour, the bowl with the breadcrumbs and an empty tray.
- Take the first arancino and dip it in the first bowl, make sure that it gets wet in all its parts and let it drip so as to leave a very light patina of batter.
- Roll the arancino on the breadcrumbs placed on the table, making sure that its surface is completely wrapped in a very thin layer of breadcrumbs. Compact everything and place the breaded arancino in the empty tray on your left.
- Repeat for all the arancini.
- E) Finally, turn on the fryer (or a pot with about 3 liters of sunflower oil) bring the sunflower oil to approx 180 ° C and fry the arancini for at least 4 minutes until complete gilding breading.
- F) After frying, wait at least 3 minutes before tasting it!